Ok, let me just tell you right now that peeling tomatoes for this recipe really sucks! It took me (with 4 kids still in the house needing my atention) around 8 hours just to get the peels off a box and a half of tomatoes.
I had presliced the carrots, green bell peppers, yellow peppers and zuccini the night before just to save myself some time. I did feel good trying to make something really healthy for my family but was it worth the back pain and the time? That's up to you to decide.
Instead of bottling the Spaghetti sauce I read on a website that you can cut time by freezing it. So since I do everything late at night that's what I did. So much faster than waiting the 35-45 minutes for the bottle to seal and then letting it cool before you test it. Freezing it in ziplock bags takes about 15 minutes to label your bag and pour the contents in every bag till the pot is empty. Spaghetti sauce doesn't last as long frozen as bottled but when you eat spaghetti all the time it makes freezing it a lot more time efficient.
So, out of this big stock pot half way full of spaghetti sauce I only got 7 quart size bags full. Not too bad but in my opinion, it's worth just buying it at the store. It tastes really good and I thought I did a great job but man... time consuming.
If you ever want to try it make sure you have a whole day set aside to concentrate on peeling tomatoes and boiling the sauce and bottling or freezing it. All in all it took me a day and a half to make 7 quart size bags full.
If you would like to try it go to: www.pickyourown.org/spaghettisauce.htm
All the steps are on their website and it tells you in great detail how to do it and what you need. It's really not that hard just really time consuming, I thought.
Never hurts to try!


No comments:
Post a Comment