So Justin started Kindergarten this year at Antelope Elementary. His teacher Mrs Pound and the school weren't taking his peanut allergy serious and were confused at where to keep his medicine. I felt really uneasy every time he went to school and at the end of every school day he would come home so awnry and demanding that He was constantly ending up on his bed for walking in the house and demanding where his food/lunch were. That kind of attitude doesn't fly in my house so I finally got fed up after only 3 weeks of it and decided he needed to switch schools.
After going to several schools and asking if I could transfer him (Davis county is now open enrolment) they all told me that they were full and the only way he would get in is if we moved in the boundary lines of that school. So that gave me an idea to use my mom's address and transfer him to West Clinton Elementary. When I got there I was filling out the papers and they wanted two proofs of residency. TWO! I understand but that made my situation to get him into a better school harder. Luckily Jeromy and I still have my mom's address on our drivers licences and all we needed was a rental agreement or a notarized document saying that our family lives with my mom. I know that would be dishonest but I didn't care at the moment I wanted my boy in another school and where he would be safe. So, I was given two weeks before school started to get my documents together. HE was put into Mrs. Phillips Pm kindergarten class and life was a little more hectic but I felt better that he would be safe and not wasted at Antelope.
About five days before West Clinton elementary school was going to start I got a special call....
Angie McKee called my cell phone and announced that Justin had been picked on the Lottery to go to Oquirrh Mountain Charter School!!!!!! AHHHHHHH!, was my first reaction. My second was thanking Angie over and over again followed by telling her this story about what I had done and was going to do. She told us that she was put in the office this week to work and they were pulling names for kids to go to school there, yeah you heard me, pulling names. No lottery system just the secretary pulling names. Anyway, back to my story. Angie asked if they were pulling names and the secretary asked who she would like to get in. Angie said pick Justin Jackson. Can I interrupt again and just say that as I wrote that sentence I got so excited that he is in that school and I'm so grateful for Angie!
Ok back to the story again.
So, we headed to the Charter school signed him up and went school uniform shopping before he started school on Friday.
By the way his teacher is OCD about letting parents know how their child is doing in school and keeping them up to date on weekly announcements. She is so great!!!
So Justin started Friday and he was so excited to go!
This is what he wore and he can also wear blue or black slacks with a gray, white, or navy blue polo shirt for summer wear. In the winter he can wear a turtle neck or long sleeved polo shirt. His shoes have to be black or white and all the same color. Either all black or all white. Kind of hard to find but not to bad.
He had to be to school at 11:30 on Friday because of early out day so we didn't know how long it would take to get from Clearfield to Kaysville so we left at 11:00am. We got to the school at 11:08. Lets just say there is hardly any traffic and it's really not that far. About the same distance as West Clinton Elementary but with no traffic and only two stop lights.
They have their own kindergarten doors and when I pick him up after school they have certain doors for them to go out so they are safe and away from normal pick up traffic from the rest of the school. Way to cool!
This is Justin after school. When he went to Antelope he came home awnry and starving. I would always make him a lunch in his Buzz Lightyear lunch box for him to eat at home but he was so hungry that he would cry and demand his lunch.
His first day at Oquirrh Mountain I made his lunch and forgot to bring it with us and he was totally ok with waiting till we got home. What??? He's ok with it!??? I have my boy back!!!!!!!
Of course when we got home he scarfed down his lunch and was completely happy the entire time.
What a difference changing schools made. I'm so grateful for Angie and for Heavenly Father giving us a miracle. Thanks again Angie for thinking of us and for giving me my happy boy back.
I LOVE Oquirrh Mountain Charter School!!!!!



No comments:
Post a Comment