Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Clark Planetarium

The 1st grade was learning about the solar system and thought that it would be a fun learning experience to take the whole 1st grade on a field trip to the Clark Planetarium in Salt Lake.
I have always wanted to go to the Planetarium so I jumped at the chance to volunteer.
Both Justin and I were so excited to go.
And of course he was way excited to be with his friends and ride on a school bus.
He didn't mind that mom was there either.

This was the group I was in charge of...
Justin, Lucy, Malcolm, Billy, Annie
Lucy became my favorite of the girls because she told me I was pretty.
I know that sounds vain but she was obsessed with me for some reason.
It was flattering.

Anywho, we first got to see a movie in the dome theater. 
I think the movie was called, adventure of the cardboard spaceship.
Two brothers made a spaceship out of a cardboard refrigerator box and set out to visit all the planets in our solar system.  It was cute.
Next we had to fill out a worksheet about the planets and all the fun stuff they had at the planetarium.


One of the fun places to see was a model of what the moon is like.
The kids got to play on the rocks and follow astronaut footsteps.

Justin running on Mars.

This was a pretty neat contraption.
They had marbles and small balls that looked like planets and you could move and turn certain levers to make the planets bounce and go all over.
Justin was testing out how strong he was by seeing how heavy a rock would feel like on the moon.
By the looks of it, it didn't seem to hard for Justin.
Downstairs at the planetarium was the pendulum.
It was swinging pretty good. 
It was showing how the earth moves. 
The earth must have been moving really fast because the pendulum almost hit the glass barrier and the wall.
It was amazing!
Our magnificent planets!
Isn't it amazing how we live on the only planet that can sustain life?
Makes you believe even more that there is a God and an eternal plan for us.

After we got back to the school they had a fun activity for the kids.
They made and decorated planets out of sugar cookies.
Too bad I couldn't be there for that activity.
Hence the missing pictures of that activity.

I'm so grateful for Justin's school.
I LOVE OMCS!!!

No comments: